In the Life Story Network (LSN), we believe that if we focus on the person rather than ‘the problem’ – whatever that problem is – then we are more likely to connect and value the humanity we all share.
Life Story Network draws upon our considerable expertise and experience across the community engagement, NHS, social care, housing, transport and the third sector, including leadership and consultancy in strategic commissioning and service delivery.
Some examples are:
- Transport – We are working alongside key stakeholders that include local authorities, a range of transport providers, commissioners, British Transport Police and people with dementia and their carers, this is to ensure that an inclusive approach to addressing the challenges to creating dementia friendly transport is taken.
- Your Community Matters – A programme which brings together housing providers, local agencies, local businesses, residents and schools to nurture closer ties, better understanding and stronger communities through relationships based on empathy and understanding.
- Leading Change Matters – Assisting middle management and those responsible for managing front-line staff within organisations to cultivate a culture based on empathy and a person centred approach.
- Your Story Matters – Learning for individuals and groups of front line staff in the practicalities of life story work to increase confidence and knowledge leading to relationship based care founded on empathy and knowing the individual. The aim is two fold: a) To increase confidence and knowledge about using life story work as a tool to promote relationship based care, and support, for people with a dementia and their family carers. b) Increase awareness of how to begin to use life story work as a tool to enhance community connections.
- Family Carers Matter – This introductory course will help family carers to understand the benefits of life stories for themselves (as family carers), the person with dementia whom they care for, professional carers and volunteers, by re-establishing personal relationships with their loved ones.
- Volunteers Matter – This one day course will help volunteers and young people have an awareness of dementia and understand the benefits of life stories for family carers, professional carers and organisations such as Housing Associations and schools, which can lead to stronger communities.
- Life Story Work and Spirituality – This introductory workshop will give you a better understanding of the benefits of life stories for yourselves, people diagnosed with a dementia, family and professional carers and how it supports a person’s spirituality, their identity and beliefs.
- Introductory Courses – Learning and understanding of the key elements of life story work for individuals via open courses.
- Bespoke Training – Training specifically tailored to the needs of an organisation.
- Expert consultancy – Developing the capability and capacity of companies, and organisations to improve their support to vulnerable people and families.